Thursday, May 6, 2010

Children's Day!

Yesterday was a special day in Korea: Children's Day!  On Children's Day students & teachers get a day off and parents are supposed to do extra nice things for their kids.  Apparently this means letting your child eat as much ice cream as they desire because of the kids who had ice cream, 3 seemed to be the average number of cones eaten.   3 ice cream cones!  


I, however, did not eat ice cream.  Yesterday also happened to be Cinco de Mayo so I celebrated by eating a burrito from Dos Tacos and even treated myself to a margarita with my friends Jenn and Alex.  

After Dos Tacos we had some time to kill so we wandered down to the Kyobo bookstore.  The Kyobo bookstore isn't anything like What the Book.  It's like a massive Barnes & Noble.  I fell in love at first sight.  Alex and I practically squeed with delight.  (I bought the book A Thousand Splendid Suns.)  

Before we knew it it was 2:30 and we were going to be late to the game.  Naturally I started freaking out and anxiously rallied the two others so we could make our way to the stadium.  We got to the Seoul World Cup Stadium at about 3:15 (so we were 15 minutes late) but I admit that in the end it was ok.  We found some pretty decent seats and although it looks far away in the picture, it really wasn't that bad at all.  

 





Plus, we go to sit behind these awesome nuns.  
Action shot like whoa.  See the dirt kicked up? 


Red shirts like whoa.  

One thing to note about the game was that it was soooo loud.  People were screaming almost nonstop and the roar of the crowd was unbelievable.  Part of the reason it was so loud is because many people seemed to have these horns like the kids sitting next to us: 


Every time a goal was scored they'd shoot these fireworks into the air.  It was sweet and made the 4 goals that the Seoul team got even more exciting.  I couldn't capture the picture of the fireworks but I was able to snap a shot of the foggy haze that fireworks create afterward. 



It was a fabulous day and the perfect way to spend Children's Day.  The weather was warm and sunny and I was in good company.  What more can a girl ask for?  :D 

3 comments:

  1. we should start a book club... i loved a thousand splendid suns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, funny that you say that because I actually WAS in a book club here in Yeongtong. The participation was lackluster and it died pretty quickly. I'd try it again but I'm not convinced I like book clubs. Incidentally, Alex, who is the dude in the pics here, was a member of the book club, so at least one good thing came from that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Children's day.. what an awesome celebration... although I'm not convinced that allowing your kid to eat THREE ice cream cones is the right way to celebrate :p

    Looks like you had a fun day... and it definitely even looked loud..with all those people and horns.

    I've never been part of a book club, but I could imagine it to be fun. But I can also imagine it taking the pleasure out of reading because now you HAVE to read and have something profound so say about it later.

    ReplyDelete