Friday, May 14, 2010

Teacher's Day

Tomorrow is Teacher's Day.  I was not aware of this little holiday until today.  A co-teacher told me that on Teacher's Day students write their teachers letters of appreciation and thanks.  She told me this as she rifled through her small stack of letters.  "Oh, I see," I replied.  I wondered if I was going to get any letters today. 


But it's 2:30pm, school is over, and I didn't receive one single letter.  My other co-teacher had a stack of them too that she was reading at lunchtime.  I wondered if it was because students felt like they'd need to write in English, and feared that their skills aren't up to par to write a nice letter.


I wouldn't have minded.  I would have loved and treasured those letters for a long, long time.  But I didn't get a single one.  Just like on Peppero Day I only got 1 box of chocolates and it was from the boy with severe Autism so I know that he hadn't really wanted to give it to me, but rather that his parents made him.

It makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong.  That I'm a bad teacher, or that I'm not reaching out to the kids.  I do feel like they like me, or at least I think they do.  About a month ago my co-teacher said that "most of the 6th graders" like me.  They do get excited when the see me in the halls.  But maybe it's just because I'm still a novelty puppet.  Even after all this time, the kids' eyes widen when they see me.  They stop dead in their tracks when I run into them at the Home Plus supermarket.

It's just a silly letter, but I really wished just ONE student had thought to give me one.  I feel like I need some legitimate recognition that I'm doing a good job.  But now I just feel let down and like I'm failing the kids.  It's heartbreaking.  And this is why, even though I keep coming back to it year after year, I feel like teaching must not be for me.

***

To end on a good note-- funny things that kids have said today:

Fill in the blank:
It's on your head
(when the answer should have been "It's on your right." or "It's on your left."

You can't mi__ it! ----> You can't milk it!
(when the answer should have said "You can't miss it!")


Conversation among students when looking at this picture for our 'Slang of the Week'

Student 1: Why is the potato sad?
Student 2: Because he has no arms or legs.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't worry too much about it. At some schools there just isn't a culture of giving the Foreign Teacher gifts for Korean days. So they don't think of you on Pep Day or Teacher's Day. At my school Teacher's day gifts and cards have been outlawed so nobody got any!!

    Don't let it bother you. I promise you, if you weren't doing a good job, and the children didn't like you...you wouldn't have to guess...you would know!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :~( Have to agree with burndog, though...also writing in English is so difficult.

    ReplyDelete