Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Rain is wet and snow is delicious.

All things considered teaching English is a pretty good job.  I don't have to work too hard, I have plenty of free time and I'm paid well for it.  But that's not to say that I can skate through life here.  There are moments when my job can be really demanding and when I am pushed to my limits.  Everyday is a challenge in some way.  

The things that help me keep going even when things get rough are the kids and the funny things they say.  I love it when they come up to me at my desk and try to talk to me in English.  They say things like "Teacher, I am genius!" or "Teacher, he is crazy!"  

Sometimes I just have to laugh at myself and the things I do.  Last week, for the first time, I used a puppet in class.  I always kind of assumed that the 5th graders would be "too cool" for a puppet but they really loved it.  I fed off their energy and had a good time with it.  My co-teacher snapped a photo of me in class.  



























Funny things the 6th graders have said recently: 
The task at hand was basically to fill in the blanks and talk about why they like or don't like the four seasons.  The sentence on the board was written as follows
I like _________ because it ____________. 
Then I showed them a picture.  It was a winter scene where someone was sticking out their tongue at the falling snow.  Almost all of the students followed the sentence structure and said "I like winter because it snows."  But three students very loudly did not say that.  Instead I heard this:
I like snow because it's delicious.  
I laugh just thinking about those 3 boys saying it in their cute little voices.  By the way, one of those kids goes by the name "Person" in my class.  Last year he was "Jack" but this year he's Person.  I have to take a deep breath every time I call on him in class and muster up the strength to call him Person.

The other great sentence was by this one girl Lisa who always tries really hard in class to think of creative sentences.  When I called on her for the picture of spring she raised her hand and said:
I like rain because it's wet.  
Why yes, yes it is.  

in on under over in front of behind


5 comments:

  1. When I worked every day with kids, I'd keep a kid quote book. HILARIOUS!

    However, yesterday a 4 year old boy came up to me and said "when I am a daddy, I want to be a professional wrestler."

    Oh. Good for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. when is the next episode??????????

    ReplyDelete
  3. when i stop being so busy that i have a moment to update with the pictures..

    someone once told me that patience is a virtue, and by once I actually mean about 200 times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Sound of fingers drumming on table" ... but patiently...

    ReplyDelete