Sunday, October 18, 2009

a little venting is healthy, right?

Sometimes I feel like there is nothing to do here. I suppose I have this notion that since I am in a foreign country I should spend every waking moment filled with an exciting new adventure. This, I guess, is the difference between traveling and living. When you travel you do spend all your time seizing the moment and ensuring that you max your time. But when you are just living there are many slow moments.

This weekend I didn't do anything at all. I didn't go out on Friday or Saturday night. My highlight on Saturday was going to Suwon station to buy makeup and nail polish remover. I have spent over an hour flipping through my Seoul guidebook and online Seoul guides to find something to do. Sure there are museums, but eh. Sure there are temples, but see one you've seen them all. And I've seen way more than one. I considered going to a movie theater but there isn't really anything I want to see.

So I waste time on the internet, read a bit, listen to NPR podcasts, sleep, and just wait until it is finally the Monday so I have something to do again. Funny how most people pray for the weekend, and all I want is the weekday.

2 comments:

  1. I suppose that if you had a dog you would have something to do all the time- feed it, walk it, play with it, etc. Then again, I understand that it is also a meal. Maybe that idea has more resonance when you live again in the U.S., where dogs and babies vie for attention. Anyway, as you no doubt know, life is filled with moments of varying sound, and when you "do nothing," the sounds of silence, and the moments in between are all the more heard. Are you listening?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete