Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Korean Folk Village


On Friday I went to the Korean Folk Village (KFV) in Yongin City which is also in the Suwon area where I live. Although there may have been a more efficient way to get there, I took the directions that were provided in my Lonely Planet guidebook: get to Suwon station and from there take the bus to the KFV. The ride was a lot longer than I expected and took up to an hour.

It costs w12,000 ($10.25 according to today's currency exchange) to get into the KFV for the regular admission price. There are also options to go to the amusement park there but it is for kids and so I didn't choose that.

The Lonely Planet says that you can spend all day at the KFV and you might be able to if you do every single thing there, but the 2 hours that I spent there seemed just right.

More background about the Korean Folk Village:
After the Korean economy boost in the 1960's the government decided that they needed a way to preserve some of their culture. In January of 1972 the KFV was established and by September of 1973 it was officially recognized by the government.

The village was both recreated and reconstructed to act like a model of what traditional Korean life was like years and years ago. Over 30,000 items of daily life have been collected and restored to ensure an accurate depiction of the village. And it's huge! Really really huge! I literally walked around for 2 hours and did not even cover all of the site.

I got there at 4pm so I missed all of the performances of the day but I still had fun walking around and being a tourist taking a million pictures. At the KFV I didn't feel embarrassed or silly taking pictures because all the Korean families were doing the same.

The sun was shining and light was beautiful as it glistened off the river and seeped through the the trees. The weather was a warm 70, dropping down to about 65 when the sun sank below the mountains in the distance.
One cool thing about the village is that there are people doing the traditional crafts and services that they would have done back then. This guy is making a rice candy which I bought for w2,000. They are semi-sweet candies that taste like really hard taffy. Good stuff but kind of difficult to eat.
Old pots.
Red chilies. You can find these same chilies on just about every street corner in Korea. They lay the chilies out to dry like that. Koreans eat a LOT of chili. If you like spicy food Korea is your heaven.
These are Korean totem poles. They used to put them in front of their homes to scare away the evil spirits. I guess that's a worldly tradition.
I mentioned above that chilies are dried on the ground. These other vegetables are hung to dry from the roof of the homes.
Since the KFV is designed for families with children they have interactive things like jumprope. This kid kinda sucked at the jumprope but at least I got an air shot..
I have no idea what kind of flower this is but it sure is neat.
The leaves are just starting to turn colors. It was pretty spectacular.
This is a wall the surrounded the reconstructed traditional Korean home. If you look carefully you can see the moss on the slats of the fence's roof.
The inside of a traditional kitchen.
Outside of a traditional home. This was a rich person's home though.
The river that runs through the KFV.
A lil' boat on the river.
Wind-power. The light was perfect when I took this shot.
Here the light is gloriously shining through t he weeping willows.

**
There are some more photos but eh, I think you get the picture. hah. No pun intended, I swear.


No comments:

Post a Comment