Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Class in Session

I have perhaps the nicest classroom in the entire school.
This is what I see as I sit at my desk.
Those are computers at the back-left, but no one ever uses them.

This is the front of the classroom.
That big screen right there is a Touch Screen. It copies what is on my computer and displays it on the screen. I can then touch the screen and open documents and use the CD-ROM that all of our lessons are on. Because the classroom has internet, we also watch a lot of YouTube videos (educational of course) in class.

This is my desk. See, it's the same image as the photo above. The other desk there is Eunju's. Her computer does not connect to the touch screen.
(I am a hardcore instant coffee drinker and require two reusable mugs)
We recycle in our classroom.
Actually, I'm not sure how well the recycling is sorted. Either Koreans are way more advanced than us in the United States or else they are just very confused and recycle anything possible. I have seen plastic knives and plastic cups in the plastic section. This, to my knowledge, is not recyclable. Neither are paper napkins which I have also seen in the paper section.

My workday is from 8:40am - 4:40pm but I usually get to school at 8:20am. I like to get in a bit early and settle my mind and do a little last-minute class prep. Homeroom starts at 8:30 for the kids, and 1st period starts at 9am. School ends for the kids at 2:30.
Each class is 40 minutes long with a 10 minute break in between classes.

Lunch is served after 4th period at 12:10pm and lasts until 12:50pm. 5th period begins at 1:00pm. There is a 6th period but I never teach during that time. It's supposed to be my prep and planning time but it tends to be my email/Facebook time.
On Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday I teach 1st, 2nd, 3, 4th, and 5th period.
On Wednesday I teach 1st, 3rd, and 4th period. (No class 2nd, 5th, or 6th)
On Friday I teach 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th periods.

During 6th period on Fridays some students go to English Movie class. That means they get to watch English movies as a class. I'm not sure if it's really an after-school choice or what. Right now we are watching The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe but it's the old version so it's not 1/2 as cool or exciting as it could be.


It's a pretty sweet deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment