Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Blue City Geoje


Because Saturday was the Korean holiday Cheosok (much like our Thanksgiving) we had Friday and Monday off of school. As I mentioned in the last post I spent my Friday at the Korean Folk Village.

On Saturday morning I got up bright and early in order to take the train to Busan. I actually wanted to leave for Geoje (where my step-sister and her husband live and teach English) but all trains were sold out because of the holidays. Thus, the first train that I could take was at 7:10am from Suwon Station.

I left the house at about 6:15am in order to catch a bus to Suwon Station (SS) and arrived at SS at about 6:40am or so. I wasn't sure about busses in the morning and I certainly could not afford to miss my train so I got there extra early.

The train ride from Suwon to Busan is just over 4 hours. When I arrived at Busan Station it was about 11:30am or so. But by the time I got off the train and figured out how to take a ferry to Geoje Island, I had missed the 12:00pm ferry. I had to wait 2 hours until the next one.

The ferry from Busan to Geoje is about 50 minutes long and by the time I got to the island it was almost 3pm.

Yes, that means I had about 9 hours of travel time... But it was worth it. I had a great weekend with my step-sister and her husband and I was glad to get out of town for a few days and explore Korea.

Although naturally I slept for much of my train ride over, I did manage to wake up for the last leg of the trip and see some really amazing sights. The land before you get into Busan is stunning.















Finally I arrived at Nicole and Sam's home in Geoje.


This photo was taken from inside their home.












Once settled in Nicole & Sam's beautiful home, it was time to explore the island. We went for a walk down a wooden platform-path to a lookout point.


(Left) This photo was taken from the walking path. You can see some of the pathway on the left side of the picture.

(Below) Dusk at the viewpoint spot.














That night for dinner we ate this:



I've found that if you stare blankly at the menu long enough the Korean waiter or restaurant owner will come up to you and point to what they think you might like. And then, because you still don't know what it is, you will say yes (in Korean the word is "nay") and then you will either be pleasantly surprised or disappointed in your dinner choice. In this case I think I was content but not totally happy either. I mean, you can just see how spicy that is.


On Sunday we went to the beach. I entertained myself by eating Ramen noodles (Rameon) and doing handstands in the sand.



After the beach we went to the spa for naked hot tubbing and steam room action. Spas in Korea deserves its own post entirely and will be expanded at some point in the future.

That night...




View while standing on a bridge in Geoje Island.










... dinner was not as tasty. That is pork inside a sausage casing.



oh well. win some you lose some when you can't order at the restaurant.










On Monday it was off to work for Nicole and Sam and Busan for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment