Friday, July 16, 2010

School Lunch

People often ask me, "How is the lunch at your school?"  Honestly, I'm never quite sure how to answer that.  I haven't had lunch at any other school in Korea so I can't compare it.  Furthermore, I seldom eat Korean food outside of school save for Kimbap and Korean Barbeque Galbi, which we can't eat at school.  

So here is a week of my school lunch.  This was just as typical a week as any other.  In every meal we get some kind of kimchi, soup, and rice.  Then we get 1 extra source of protein and 1 other side dish.  

Monday
- Soup made from bean paste.  I hate this kind of soup most of all.  In the soup there are pieces of potato, tuna, and seaweed.  
- White rice and a 1/2 banana
- Kimchi
- Dried fish thingies.  I don't eat these.  
- Tofu with a slightly spice sauce on it.  

Today I ate banana, tofu and the rice.   (I took a picture of my co-teacher's tray because mine was so sparse looking.) 



Tuesday
- Beef.  Lots of bone and very little meat.  
- Korean pancake.  Love these.  
- Kimchi. 
- White rice and a nectarine 
- Soup with potato and fish cake

My nectarine was a little mealy tasting.  The Korean pancake (pajeon), however,  was delicious.  They are made from flour, eggs, oil, scallions, and a little vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar.   


Wednesday
- Boiled potato.  No salt and no butter. 
- Hot sauce for the bibimbap (Gochujang 고추장)
- Green kimchi
- Bibimbap (seasoned and sauteed vegetables like carrot, zucchini, and mushrooms) with rice.  
- Soup with potato, fishcake and something green. 
- Also, grape juice!   




Thursday
- Mook.  A gelatin made from buckwheat and acorn powder with seaweed and sesame on top.    
- Fried chicken with lettuce and a mustard dipping sauce. 
- Kimchi (Oisobakki: kimchi from cucumbers) 
- White rice 
  
- Not delicious soup.
















Sorry that the formatting on this sucks.  For some reason pictures are impossible to navigate on blogger.  

3 comments:

  1. I am wondering what you most want to eat when you come home???? A really good American Hamburger? Steak & fries? Someting else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks exactly like my school lunches :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: Anonymous-

    Because I can eat almost anything I desire in Seoul, there isn't much that I'm really craving. I could go for a burrito with black beans (rather than the standard Kidney or Refried here) and a huge sandwich on a sourdough roll.

    ReplyDelete