Sunday, December 6, 2009

GEPIK Orientation & Training

From Monday - Wednesday of this past week I had got to go to the GEPIK Orientation & Training in Osan.  GEPIK stands for Gyeonggi English Program in Korea and oversees all public school English teachers.


I'm terrible with numbers but there could have been about 500 people at the orientation.  And by 500 I actually mean anywhere from 200-800 because I have no idea.  We filled an auditorium.... 


The orientation started at 11:30am on Monday and went until 8 that evening.  During that time we had an opening ceremony, an introduction about the English curriculum in South Korea, an intro to GEPIK, a small group meeting (with other elementary teachers from my Suwon area-- I already knew 5 of them!), and a welcoming dinner and evening entertainment.  


That night people partied way into the night.  I left at 2am for sleep but people stayed out much later than me.  (see my fabulous bed below)


On Tuesday the day started at 9am with a lecture on "Teaching Methodology."  Though most people found it rather boring, I found it helpful.  Some of this though, I am sure, is due to the fact that I have a Masters in Education and love learning about teaching methods and practices in education.  


Following that lecture we had a medium sized lecture on "Co-teaching & Lesson Plans."  This lecture was beneficial because we got to see what it was like to be a student in our own classes.  What I mean by this is that there was a Korean teacher and a Native English teacher presenting a typical English class.   My favorite part about the class was when I volunteered to participate in the game.  I've learned that participating in class, especially when it is game, is always more fun than watching it.  Sure it can be embarrassing but you have to put that aside and go with it.  Additionally, you tend to learn more that way.  



<--- The lunchroom 




After that we had lunch and then a group presentation with the same Suwon teachers I mentioned above.  That was not as beneficial because it wasn't as fun (I really am not sure why, but perhaps it had to do with my fellow teachers' lack of experience??) 


The next lecture was on "Winter Camp."  I was looking forward to that one the most because I really wanted to learn from it but it was so boring and not helpful at all.  I felt terrible for the presenter though because people were talking all throughout her lecture and they were SOOO rude.  I was completely disgusted by my fellow teachers.  I was horrified and livid that they could be so disrespectful.  



After Winter Camp I got to do a mask making project.   This was another highlight because it was a much needed break from all the lectures.  The mask was made out of cardboard and we painted it with acrylics.  Then at the end they stapled a black cloth on the back so that you can fully hide beneath it.  Mine turned out decently well.  I wanted to use colors that would compliment my room which is currently white and yellow.  






















That evening there was more partying to be had.  





In the photo above everyone was doing an impromptu version of "Bohemian Rhapsody" 


Jenna, a dude from Boulder, the dude who took a lot of photos, and some creepy dude in the background.  I adore this photo.  ---> 
































Finally we checked out of our rooms at 9am on Wednesday, had a final ceremony from 9:30-11 and then by noon we were back on the bus home.  


It was a great time and I'm so glad I got to go.  Some people complained the whole time that it was boring and pointless, but I love those kinds of lectures and training sessions.  It's all in what you make of them.  And, if nothing else, it's an excuse to get out of school for a few days and meet hundreds of new people from all around the world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment