Sunday, December 20, 2009

Big Air

After my haircut on Saturday I ventured down to the downtown Gwanghwamun Square for the FIS Snowboard World Cup Big Air competition.

There was a lot of controversy about the competition because although the same event has taken place in cities like London, Stockholm, and Moscow, Seoul was the first to host the event in all of Asia.  Although he denied the accusations, rumors flared that the mayor wanted the event as a way to ensure his upcoming re-election.  The event cost w700-million (about $600,000) and required 500 tons of ice.       It is said that 310,000 people visited the square during the 3-day event.


The ramp here is 20m high.
Photo credit to "The Chosun Ilbo" 


There really were a LOT of people at the event! I could hardly see over all the people but thankfully there were at least half a dozen JumboTron big screens in the area.  Slowly but surely I made my way up through the crowd and was able to take a decent picture of the ramp.



Gwanghwamun Square.  The snowboarding competition is behind the big statue.
Looking behind towards the metro station and the city.

I was too far away to get a good action shot, but ooh look, it's a JumboTron photo!



After a late dinner at a Vietnamese Pho restaurant nearby, I attempted and failed once again to correctly take the bus back from Seoul.  Although I could have sworn that you could take a bus from Yangjae to Yeongtong somehow I wound up at Suwon Bus Terminal, which although not terrible, did require me taking yet another bus for 20 minutes back home.  Time and time again, I totally fail at bus navigation..  


2 comments:

  1. That looks pretty awesome! Where the competitors from SK or all over the world?

    You still have a many months to figure out the bus navigation system.. you'll probably figure it out a week before leaving :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mostly they seemed to be from Korea, but there were a few Europeans, I believe.

    ReplyDelete