Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Dr. Fish



The other week some friends and I went to do the Dr. Fish.  What an experience, I tell you!

When we went on a Saturday afternoon the coffee shop was populated but not too busy.  We had to wait about 30 minutes before we could do the Dr. Fish because there was a line.  Later, we learned that you can call in advance and make a reservation.  

In order to do the fish thing you have to order a drink (which they overcharge by at least an extra dollar or won from the already expensive Starbucks-standard price).  The reason it's so expensive is because you get "complimentary" all-you-can-eat bread with butter and jam as well as an extra cup of coffee (12oz) to go.  The price of the Dr. Fish is just w2,000 for 15 minutes.  Trust me, you don't need more than 15 minutes. 

When it was our turn I was excited and I thought I'd be fine.  Um, no.  I think I must have said the words "oh my god oh my god oh m god" over and over for 12 of those 15 minutes.  

Why you ask?  Well for one thing the fish look like this: 
 
Look at the mouth on those things!  
Om nom they want to eat your skin and they are ravenous! 



Mali was a pro and she kept her feet in the whole time no problem.  I couldn't hack it though.  




We decided to take an ironic picture of me in a cool calm and collected pose because I was anything but. 
EDIT: The fish feel like little vibrations.  It doesn't hurt but rather it's a slight tickle.  I felt like there must have been close to 50 of them on me but Mali & Nicole assured me that number was actually closer to 5.


All in all, it was a worth it and I'm really glad that I did it.  It's another thing to check of the SoKo-To-Do list that I made a little while back.  

Things still on there that I need to do: 
Everland, Chungmuro Pet street, Jeju Island, temple stay, DMZ, and bungee jumping.  I do hope I get to do it all in the short time that I have left (about 70 days now!) 






Directions to Dr. Fish:
Walk out Exit 6 from Gangnam and go straight a few blocks.  It’s across from the GCV and next to the Krispy Kreme donuts shop.  The name of the café is actually not Dr. Fish.  It’s something along the lines of “read books and relax café” or something weird like that.  It’s on the 2nd floor of the building.  



3 comments:

  1. NOM NOM NOM NOM!!!! those fish look freaky... so do they just gnaw at your feet? Or what exactly is it supposed to do? My first thought was that it would tickle....

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. The purpose of it is to clean your feet and eat off all your dead skin. It isn't very effective. I don't think they did very much at all .. though to be fair, I was only in the water for about 3 minutes rather than the suggested 15.

    Yes, it did tickle, but mostly it was just weird.

    ReplyDelete