Tuesday, September 15, 2009

School Daze

Well I would say that my first two days of school were a success. Who knows what the students actually think of me, but I think I did alright.

Eunju, my co-teacher, picked me up both days promptly at 8:20am. As teachers we have to be at school by 8:40am. Since all the students have to get their temperature checked (due to the swine flu) students start arriving much earlier.

First the students have homeroom. I have no idea what they do there because we don't have a homeroom class. Then the madness begins.

There are 6 periods in a day. Lunch is at 12:10. I arrive at 8:40am and leave at 4:40pm. I have no idea when school starts and ends. This is something I still need to figure out. Each class is 40 minutes long, I think. See, I still don't know. Tomorrow I will write down when all the bells ring.

On Monday I teach 5 periods: four are 5th graders (12 years old because Korean ages are different) and one class of 4th grade. The teacher was sick or something so on Monday I didn't have a 4th grade class come. Tuesday is the same. Wednesday I have my 4th grade class first and then the 5th graders with an empty class (planning time) for 3rd period. On Thursdays and Fridays I have the 6th graders.

This week Eunju just wanted me to tell the students about myself and have them ask me questions. She asked me to make a PowerPoint presentation about myself so I did. There are pictures of all the places that I lived (Long Island, Marin, Boulder, and Portland). There are pictures of my family. There are pictures of my favorite things to do (snowboarding, softball, and camping) and my favorite foods. When I get to the favorite foods the kids just scream with excitement (pizza!!! sushi!!!! mango! yogurt!)

I'm not sure how I feel about the 4th grade teacher so far. That's all I have to say about her for now. I mean really, I didn't even catch her name. She's... ok.

BUT all of the other teachers are great. Eunju, my co-teacher is wonderful. The 5th grade teachers lounge is this salon of women who gather and gossip and sneak bites of sweets and fruit and gulp down instant coffee and hot tea. I love it. Even though I can not understand a word they are saying.

This evening I went to Home Plus and bought some "work shoes" since I have been wearing my "street shoes" for these past two days-- major no-no. The kids all wear these Keds-like shoes.

Oh! And the kids do not wear uniforms. I was bummed because I wanted to see them all in their cute little matching outfits, but oh well. On P.E./gym days they wear these sweatpants sets that come in some combo of either turquoise, bright pink, lavender purple, and white. I like that the boys wear pink and it's no big deal.

Maybe next week I will take some pictures of the kids and teachers. I gotta work on gaining a bit more trust first.

No comments:

Post a Comment