Thursday, November 26, 2009

Book Club

Yesterday I went to my first English book-club meeting.  About 2 weeks ago I responded to an ad posted on the Seoul Craigslist for people interested in starting an English book-club.  Amazingly, the person who was coordinating this club lives in Yeongtong and wanted to meet just a mere 5 minute walk from my house!  Heck yes!

We met at the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf at the Yeongtong Home Plus at 8pm on Wednesday.  I met with 3 others in the club:

Bibana is the organizer of the group.  She's originally from Columbia but moved to the US when she was 12.  She has lived in several areas of South Korea during the past 2 years where she has had a few different Hagwon jobs.  She currently teaches Kindergarten but doesn't like it because she hates singing songs all day long.

Alex is from New York City.  He has lived in Korea for about 6 months now but hasn't picked up much Korean beyond the basic hello-goodbye-thank you-please, etc.  He teaches at a Hagwon across from the Home Plus and likely sees some of the kids I teach at my elementary school.

The third member attending the group that day was a Korean man but I can't recall his name.  He commutes about 45 minutes each day to work at an advertising agency.  He works long hours (usually from 7am - 9pm) and says he doesn't get paid much.

Additionally, there will be one more person from the US who couldn't make it on Wednesday as well as 3 other Koreans who couldn't make it.

We picked the book I recommended because Bibana had already heard of the book and also wanted to read it.  Additionally, we thought that it would be the easiest read (compared to the other books we had thought of) for the Koreans who have a more difficult time reading.

I'm very excited for the book-club.  It will be my first book group.  Hopefully, having the mix of Koreans and Americans will be an interesting cultural experience too.

For more information about the book, please click here.
You are invited to read the book during the month of December and share your thoughts with me at the end month.  

1 comment:

  1. I just picked up "The Help" which was recommended by you. I haven't started it yet but I can hardly wait.

    ReplyDelete